Wednesday, August 28, 2013

With a question as profound as “Who are you?” I never know where to start. A basic introduction is usually the easiest starting point. For example, my name is Emma Pred-Sosa and I’m sixteen years old. I live with my parents and cat in the same house that I have lived in my entire life. I have an older sister as well, but she now lives in Washington D.C.

All of that information, however, doesn’t really mean much. It’s true, my name is part of my identity. It’s my label. I don’t really consider myself to be a very complex person, but there is definitely more to “me”. My whole life, for instance, I’ve been an introvert. Though I truly enjoy the company of other people, I have no qualms with being by myself and when I was younger, there was nothing I enjoyed more than curling up in my room and reading for hours on end (to the point where my most common response to any request would be, "Just let me finish the paragraph!"). I also started playing cello at the age of six, and I’m so grateful for the role music has played in my life. It’s given me a chance to make friends and improve my self-confidence through performance.

One of my main goals in life is to find my greatest passion and pursue it. Therefore, I make it my duty to myself to try out any new interest, even if it might seem scary. For that reason, I decided to study abroad in Tokyo, Japan for my sophomore year. My family loves travel and I’ve had the bug ever since my first trip to Europe when I was five years old. I know that I never get more excited than when I’m learning about a new culture or a new language. And as for Japan, I can easily say that it was the best experience of my life. I met some amazing people and learned some important lessons on maturity and connecting with others. My time there has transformed me into a new person, ready to take on life and all its challenges.

Truth be told, I am still forever changing. My concept of “me” could change in a year, or maybe even a month. But I will always stay to stay true to myself, no matter who that may be.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you Emma. This post is great. You write flawlessly, and I thank you for that. I am excited to learn more about this Japan experience. Did your family go with you? Was it an exchange program? My only real complain about your post is your final sentence. No doubt, there is definitely a time and a place for important life lessons, but if you are not careful, you might come across as cheesy, or excessively sentimental. Truthfully, I found your last sentence to be a bit of a “force.” Everything that preceded that, however, was quite awesome.

    ReplyDelete