Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Who I am depends on who is being asked. You'd probably think this question was being asked directly to me, but what if it wasn't? Does everybody know exactly who I am? No. In fact, they probably have a very specific view on a person--and me--able to be  summarized in a single word. Friend? Enemy? brother? Or maybe just a single way to describe you, a single adjective for an entire person, based only on the experience you've had with the person asking. In somebody's mind, I might not be Corey, maybe somebody knows me better as, for instance, 'annoying'(probably several). This sort of idea makes you wonder what you will be remembered for, what impression you leave. Simply describing myself with a few words doesn't change peoples opinion, and such simple words could become meaningless, especially in comparison with people we actually recognize by single adjectives. Some average joe could say he was funny, nice and tall, then stand next to a comedian, a peace corps agent, and a basketball player, and he would just be there. At least that's how i believe some people might look at others. In all this time I've pretty well avoided the simplest response to this question. I am Corey Handy. I'm 16, go to Milton High, plan to go to college, and get a job. I'd be more specific but that would contradict one of the adjectives I guess I could use to describe myself pretty accurately, paranoid. Not the kind of schizophrenic type paranoid, thinking your family works for the government and is trying to kill you, more like, well, have you ever thought that somebody might be able to read minds and is hearing your thoughts. that kind. Well anyway, goodbye.

1 comment:

  1. Corey, I struggle with this post. First, it is too short. Also, you don’t clearly articulate your thoughts. I get confused right at the beginning. How does the third sentence relate to the first two? You seem to jump from one idea to the next without a transition.

    ReplyDelete