Wednesday, August 28, 2013

The first thing I thought when I was asked to identify myself was an old NCIS episode that I watched a few years back. The detectives were searching for a killer when a suspicious man dressed in black went into a alley. The detectives immediately grasped the holster of their guns and proceeded down the alley yelling, "identify yourself"! I think this question or demand will never have a complete answer because even a 80 year old man is probably finding out something new about himself. On the outside I think most of our identities are alike. We are high school students stressing about the next test and fighting with our parents about anything from a curfew to who was suppose to take the dog out. Simply put we are teenagers. The things that make us different from each other, those little untold facts are our identities. By week I am a student doing home work and participating in clubs and sports. By weekend though I am getting up at 4 a.m to deliver the Sunday Globe to the residents of Marina Bay. As weird or pathetic that may sound, i feel as though it is my haven. My place where I can think as I throw the paper to apartment # 903 who always tips me three weeks late. It has been the place where I come up with new ideas to write about or a solution to a problem. Does this make me the paper girl? Is this my identity? Hardly, I guarantee the things that identify us now is not what is gonna identify who we are in 10 years.  I am the younger sister of Christopher and Katelyn Kourtelidis. Sometimes I am identified as Little Kourto or Kourta and this makes me feel like I am constantly walking in the shadow of my brother and sisters past. I know though that the shadow will fade away as I get to know myself more. So, for now I suppose my identity is the paper girl, Little Kourto, or Kourta because who I am is never written in stone.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Katrina. I look forward to working with you this year in a more conventional academic setting. Your post is good. I have never delivered a newspaper in my life, but I think I understand the experience that you talk about in Marina Bay. The early morning hours always inspire great thinking and reflection in those lucky (or strong) enough to get themselves out of bed to enjoy them. I always try to do my running as early as possible in the day, along Quincy shore, because I love the contemplative impulse that comes with the dawning of a new day. As much as I agree with and enjoy the content of your post, there are definitely some technical and stylistic issues that you need to be aware of. First of all, I am not sure that your introduction really works. It definitely caught my attention, initially, but because you never tie it into your overall answer, it seems random. Also, there is some inconsistency in your tone. I have no issues if you chose to write using colloquial diction (i.e. “gonna”), but you need to be consistent, or else you run the risk of appearing sloppy. Be careful about this. Finally, you might want to recall the difference between the words “a” and “an.” On two occasions, you write “a” when you should write “an.” Regardless, this is good, and I thank you for that.

    ReplyDelete