Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Who am I? Well, my name is Shannon MacLeod, I'm sixteen, and I have to say that this question stumped me for quite some time. My first thought was, "Well, I'm nothing really." But after staring blankly at my computer screen desperately trying to string together a few sentences about the person I've spent my entire life being, I realized that I'm actually quite a lot of things.

I'm a daughter (well, what girl isn't?) and a sister. I'm a flutist and a proud marching band, jazz band, and concert band member. I'm a former volleyball and tennis player. I'm a student who's currently juggling four AP's and is probably in over her head. That being said, I've never been one to give up when things get difficult. Most people see me as a quiet and reserved person and I'm trying to break away from that. Even though I tend to keep my opinions to myself, that doesn't mean that they don't exist. From a young age, I've been very opinionated. When I was about eight and found out how circus animals were treated, I refused to go when my family bought tickets. To this day I've never been to the circus.

I'm also someone who is interested in a lot of things, but has yet to find her passion. Yoga. Books. The human body. Art. Music. Baking. Travelling. Feminism. Nature. Animal rights. I'm interested in it all. I've always been curious and open to learning and trying new things. I love when people recommend things to me, be it a book or a band or a TV show. I attribute my curiosity to my grandmother, who always encouraged me to try new things. In fact, I am who I am today because of my family. My mother always told me to do the best that I could possibly do. My father encouraged me to listen to different genres of music, from classical to rock. My grandfather taught me to think for myself and stand by my principles. My family has played a major role in making me the person that I am today, and however cliche it may sound, I wouldn't want to be anyone else.









1 comment:

  1. Awesome, Shannon. This is a great post. Your writing is technically flawless, and your style is quite lively. I enjoyed reading this. I understand that you keep your opinions to yourself. I usually do too. However, I encourage you, when you feel comfortable, to share your thoughts during class – especially when and if you disagree with something the class is saying. I love opinionated students, and I love them even more when they disagree with me. Often I fear that students just go along with what I am saying because I am the teacher. In our class in particular, we must be open and honest, and students must, under no circumstances, lazily agree with me. For the record, I agree with you about circuses.

    ReplyDelete