Wednesday, August 28, 2013


     When the caterpillar from Alice in Wonderland questions Alice about who she is, she nervously blurts out, "Why, I-I-I hardly know, sir. I've changed so many times since this morning, you see." Reading this prompt, I was immediately drawn to this Disney movie reference. I wracked my brains until I remembered this quote, which is one of my favorites. I was probably a little too happy when I checked and found out I recited it perfectly in my head. And I believe that alone says a lot about me. I am very much still a kid. I love Disney Movies. I love princesses (I still hope to be one some day). And I love happily ever afters. But I am also much more than that.
     I grew up very close to my big, very Italian family. I live in a house with my mom, dad, two sisters and brother. I won't even begin to count how many cousins, aunts and uncles I have. But I love them all dearly. My family has always been a huge part of my life. They're loud, they're crazy, and they make amazing food. I love every party, dinner, and get together that I spend with them. I look forward to continuing this close bond with my family throughout my life. 
     In many ways, I would say that I'm your stereotypical girl. I love shopping and getting my nails done. I look forward to every summer so I can work on my tan. I'm not the most athletic, or very coordinated for that matter. I get exited to go out with my friends on a friday night and silly things like flowers will make me happy. I wouldn't have it any other way. 
     I've always been passionate about music. I do every school musical and I'm involved in every chorus group. I love to preform and sing. I am very appreciative of the opportunities that the music department at Milton High School provides their students. I can pretty confidently say that I would have never ran around dancing in a giant wig and stuffed suit if it wasn't for last year's production of Hairspray. And most importantly, I love the people in that department more than anything. 
     I'm a kid. I'm very family oriented. I'm a girl and I'm a performer. I'm Jacqueline Ruscito and I am sixteen years old. Much like Alice, I am changing every day. I don't think that there is anything wrong with that. Change is good. The people, and the things that I love have shaped me into who I am today. But I believe that I am growing and changing as a person everyday. 
     


     

1 comment:

  1. Jackie, this response is great. I always like when students know the reference from “Alice.” Yes, that is her response, and your interpretation of her response is perfect. I always read that passage, the one with the caterpillar, with my freshman, on their first day of high school. I actually read it three times today, with three different frosh classes. Alice’s reaction to the caterpillar perfectly captures – I think – the anxiety and trepidation many 9th graders feel on their first day. I thank you for writing as well as you do in this post. My only complaint is that you refer to “Alice” as a Disney movie and not a book, but I will get over this. I have not seen the movie, but the quote you reference comes exactly from the original text. I know because, as I wrote, I read it three times today.

    ReplyDelete