Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Who am I? Staring at my computer screen, I struggle to find words. How can someone possibly define themselves on a single piece of paper? The truth is, I have no idea who I am. After all, I am still a teenager trying to figure myself out. But what I do know is this: I am Micaela Keating. I have lived a sheltered life. From the moment I came home from the hospital on November 13, 1996 I have lived in the same house on the same quiet, family-friendly street. I grew up with both of my parents around and I have been going to school with the same kids since kindergarten (well, some of them). But that's just the beginning.

I am a sixteen-year-old girl. I am a younger sister, a friend, a daughter, a niece, a student...the list could go on forever. I am a very dedicated student and although I don't like to admit it, I hate seeing a B+ taint my otherwise perfect report card. I know that I should be thrilled to get a B+, but the perfectionist inside of me wants to scream. Oddly enough, even though I am a perfectionist, I am also a procrastinator. As you can guess the two don't mix well together. I tend to wait until the last minute to get things done (like this post right now, which I am writing at 10:34pm). The problem with my procrastination is that because I am a perfectionist I can't just quickly whip up an essay at the last minute and call it a night. I have to make it something I am proud of which is very time consuming. Next time I'll get this assignment done straight away, I'll say to myself. And time after time I find that I am yet again waiting until the last minute.

I am the type of person who tends to sit back and watch rather than get in on the action. I am an introvert and it takes me a long time to fully open up to others, which is why I find this assignment so difficult. I secretly wish that I was an outgoing person who could go up and talk to anybody and everybody without being afraid. But for now I'll just settle for being me. The quiet, studious, perfectionistic, introverted, sheltered Micaela.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Micaela, if this is an indicator of your work for the rest of the year, you will have a very good year. This post is awesome! Really awesome! It is brutally honest, contemplative, and perfectly written. I could not ask for more. For your sake, I hope you are able to get to work a bit earlier on English assignments. The perfectionist/procrastinator combo might lead to some miserable nights for you.

    ReplyDelete