Wednesday, August 28, 2013

     "Who are you?" It seems like an easy enough question at first glance, right? But to my dismay, as I sat at my desk looking at the question I could not answer right away. I guess I am a lot of things. I am Chrissy Stafford, a daughter, sister, cousin and a friend. I am a junior who plays clarinet and who listens to everything from classical music, to alternative rock, to hip hop.
     I am also a person who considers herself an introvert. Even though I like talking to people and can be outgoing, I have always cherished the quiet moments in my life. I like being alone with my own mind. I am someone who would rather curl up with a good book and some hot chocolate on a cold winter day by myself instead of going out to play in the snow with the other kids.
     I also am a girl with big dreams who also knows, thanks to her parents, that sometimes- in life you have to be sensible and realistic. I am someone who dreams of going to New York City and working in fashion, but who knows her parents would rather her be something more sensible and stable, like a nurse or a teacher.
     I am also someone who wants to travel the world but feels constricted by her small town. I am adventurous, well I hope to be. I have been in this town for 16 years and the thought of getting out and going to college exhilarates me. I am the type of person who has been looking at colleges since my freshman year. I have been creating an image of what I want my life to look in my head since I was a kid. I am a person who, instead of living in the moment, lives for the future.
     I am also someone who has a few close and amazing friends. In some way I am my friends. I am my family. Both my friends and family have, in some part, shaped who I am today. Both of them make up my backbone, they are my support. People in my family have given me some advice that I will carry with me for the rest of my life. They have shown me how to be a hard working, strong willed individual and without them I would be nothing.
     This is who I am today. But who knows how that will change in a day, a month, a year, or a decade. As Henry David Thoreau once said in his famous book Walden, "Things do not change; we change." Right now though I am just a 16 year old trying to figure life out. Who knows what I might be tomorrow?








1 comment:

  1. Thanks Chrissy. I like your post, particularly the paragraph about sitting inside on a snowy day. I, myself, can relate to that impulse. You write well, but be careful of how you punctuate your thoughts. I am not sure what you were trying to accomplish with the dash or hyphen after “sometimes” in paragraph three. Also, you write, “I am adventurous, well I hope to be.” This might have been more effective if you had broken this into two separate sentences. Other than these minor issues, you present a nice introduction to yourself. Thank you for that.

    ReplyDelete