Wednesday, August 28, 2013

     I'm a nerd. This general fact is recognized by pretty much everyone who knows me. I'm one of "those people," the ones who legitimately enjoy their Chemistry tests and spend their free time reading books on Math Philosophy. While all this is definitely true, I do like to think that there is a little bit more to me than this short and rather unsatisfactory title.
     I grew up in a household with two parents who value education extremely highly and a sister who has excelled in every field she touches. Not the easiest act to follow.
     Though she may have made my life difficult at times, my sister has absolutely had a positive influence on me. I love to argue and debate about pretty much anything (not in an organized way mind you, I have no desire to join a debate team or the like. Too many rules.) My sister usually has a completely different opinion on topics than I do, and that's certainly helpful whenever I'm feeling too confident of my view on the world. My sister's also good at the whole "being a sister" thing: encouraging her brother, setting examples, being there to talk to, etc.
     I've been playing trombone for the past seven years now and it has certainly been beneficial for me. I've never been particularly creative when it comes to visual arts, so I feel as though music has been a way for me to balance that out. It's fun, but it isn't nearly as important in my life as it was a couple of years ago. This is probably due to the fact that crew practice takes up a lot of what used to be trombone practice time.
     I am a huge fan of word play, and this journal is surprisingly lacking in puns. I'm also really sarcastic and at times I can definitely come across as antagonistic to people who aren't my close friends.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Will. I look forward to working with you, especially if all of your writing is as clear and technically sound as this is. My only suggestion would be to look more closely at “has excelled in every field she touches.” There seems to be some mixing of images here. Does one “touch” or “set foot upon” a field? Is “in” the proper preposition, or should it be “on.” Your writing is flawless, and appears to be carefully proof-read. I only point this stylistic hiccup out to you because people who enjoy word play usually enjoy the task of selecting the precise word. In this instance, I would argue that you chose poorly. Definitely not a big deal – for me anyway.

    ReplyDelete