Sunday, February 9, 2014


            Ah, junior year. As students approach their final years of high school, one thing seems to be on everyone’s mind: college. Now more so than ever students are prioritizing schoolwork in order to increase their chances of getting into a decent school.  Students are frantically trying to boost their GPAs and participate in more extracurricular activities as the college application process nears. Studies show, however, that grades and extracurricular activities are not the only deciding factors in college admissions. Another factor that determines whether or not one is accepted into college is something that cannot be controlled: race.
            While it seems unfair that one can be denied from a college based on the skin color he was born with, race-based college admissions is ever present. The Association of American Medical Colleges found that amongst applicants who received average GPA and MCAT scores for students applying to medical schools, black applicants were nearly three times more likely to be accepted into a US Medical School than Asian applicants (with acceptance rates of 84% and 28.1%, respectively). Similarly, Hispanics were nearly two times more likely to be accepted than white applicants (68% and 34.1%, respectively). Even though the students received similar grades and test scores, Asians and whites were far less likely to be accepted than blacks and Hispanics.
            Why is race a determining factor in college admissions? While ideally college admissions should be based on merit alone, many colleges accept students who belong to a minority race in order to appear more diverse. The University of Texas at Austin factors race into its undergraduate admissions process. In 2012, Abigail Noel Fisher, a white female, filed a lawsuit against the University, claiming that black and Hispanic applicants were accepted while she was not despite her academic and extracurricular superiority.  The Fifth Circuit ruled in favor of the University, but in a 7-1 majority in June 2013, the Supreme Court asked the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit to re-evaluate the case.
While Fisher’s efforts are drawing attention to racial discrimination in college admissions, the issue remains unresolved. Sure, racial diversity on college campuses can be beneficial. However, when racial diversity becomes more important than credentials, something needs to be done. Students should be admitted into universities based on merit rather than race. After all, a student’s race is out of his control. 




Works Cited
Perry, Mark J. "Acceptance Rates at US Medical Schools between 2010-2012 Reveal Racial Preferences for Blacks and Hispanics." American Enterprise Institute Ideas. N.p., 04 Apr. 2013. Web. 09 Feb. 2014.
Fisher v. University of Texas at Austin. Supreme Court. 24 June 2013. Supreme Court of the United States. N.p., n.d. Web. 09 Feb. 2014.

3 comments:

  1. I'm not your assigned comment person, but I find it really interesting that I chose to write my Transcendentalist argument on this same subject before ever reading your post. I supported the same side as you and I find that your argument stands up well with my research. One argument that I did find that supported the opposite opinion showed an example of a university (UC Berkeley) that decided not to consider race any more in their admissions. As a result, the next year's incoming class was the least diverse class the university had seen in many years, where the number of African-American students admitted dropped form 562 to 191. While I still think you make a very compelling argument that I agree with, it is important not to overlook the fact that affirmative action does help to ensure diversity in a student body.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Micaela, your post is really well written and is easy to read. I like the topic you picked and as Will said you “make a very compelling argument”. I think one of your best points was when you said how unreasonable it is for colleges to base their admissions on race because it is something that cannot be controlled. Also I think that the statistics you included about the percentages of different races accepted helped your argument as well.
    There was one issue with the beginning of one of your sentences, “The Association of American Medical Colleges found that amongst applicants who received average GPA and MCAT scores for students applying to medical schools”. If you got rid of the “for students applying to medical schools” the sentence would make more sense.
    Overall I think you had a very strong, intriguing argument. Your post was very well written with few errors. I read it a couple times and I really only found the one mistake. I know you said the case is still unresolved, but it would be interesting to hear what the verdict is on the Fisher case.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Micaela for this thought-provoking and phenomenally well written post. I applaud you for tackling this controversial issue.

    This one is sensitive for me. This brings me back to my first year coaching the debate team. The resolution for the final state tournament that year dealt with the benefits of "affirmative action." In their first year debating, Maya Rosmarin and Ailsa Jeffries made it to the state semi-finals debating both sides of this issue. Chief Justice Roberts once said that the best way to stop discrimination based on race is to stop discriminating based on race. As logical and well-presented as your argument is, I think I disagree with you and Justice Roberts. Despite being a white male, who was born with all of the privileges that race and gender can afford, I have, ironically, always supported efforts of colleges and private businesses to try to increase the number of racial and ethnic minorities in academic and professional realms. If this means that given equal test scores and recommendations, students receive preference because of their racial or ethnic identity, then I am cool with it. Of course, the assumption is that the admissions criteria are equal. I do struggle to think that race and ethnicity would supersede other admissions criteria. That seems a bit dangerous. I'm not sure why I support this. I guess my personal feeling is that we, as a country, have not moved far enough beyond our sordid history of segregation and discrimination to say that all Americans, regardless of their race or ethnicity, have an equal opportunity for success. Maybe I am wrong. Perhaps I will reconsider my opinion once the demographics of Congress, or of Fortune 500 CEOs, matches the country's overall demographics.

    Regardless of my opinion, I fully respect not only your point of view, but how you present it. Wonderful. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete