Sunday, October 6, 2013


In all my life I had never sat down and watched the VMA's mainly because I never knew when they were and it didn't interest me. I certainly didn't think that it was a source for communication until it was mentioned in class. To jog my memory, I checked out the nominated and winning videos online. I came across Macklemore and Ryan Lewis song, Same Love. Every time this song came on in the car I would turn the volume a little higher and really listen to the story that was being told.

We as a nation are still very divided on the topic of gay marriage and Macklemore knows this. What better way to communicate to the American people then through the radio. We are constantly listening to the Top 40 so there is a good chance that his song will be played. The video starts with the most innocent thing in the world, a newborn baby. Every person softens up a little when a  delicate baby is born. This is exactly what Macklemore wants. He needs to soften the American people's stubborn minds and a baby with no prior knowledge or judgments is the perfect way to do this.

As the video goes on we start to see through they eyes of a gay man and the struggles that he faces. Before this though, Macklemore slaps the American people in the face with the stereotypes we set on people as a young age. He sings, "

When I was in the 3rd grade
I thought that I was gay
Cause I could draw,
my uncle was
And I kept my room straight
I told my mom, tears rushing down my face
She's like, "Ben, you've loved girls since before Pre-K!"
Tripping, yeah, I guess she had a point, didn't she?
A bunch of stereotypes all in my head"
People instill this fear into a persons head that if their gay then you might as well not exist. Macklemore pushes this fear that people set into the light of reality. A poor child was crying because he thought he was gay since he could draw and was neat. He wants Americans to feel ashamed for this torture they are putting on a child.

Macklemore then continues his mission by putting us through the pain of watching a confused, miserable boy that is gay grow up in a world that is against who he is. He uses the technique of being able to relate to someone. When the boy goes to a school dance he feels awkward because all the boys are dancing with the girls because that is the "right" way. I feel like everyone can relate to being awkward at a school dance even if you aren't gay. It may be because you cant dance or are shy. This breaks down the barrier of a straight and gay person because in the end they are both people.

Macklemore's purpose is to stop dehumanizing those that are different because we are all born human and deserve to be treated as one. So when Same Love comes on I turn it up a little louder and remember the message that is being told.







1 comment:

  1. Thanks Katrina, this is an interesting response. You write some things that are really strong - the best in your class. But you also have some sloppiness that ruins your credibility as a writer. First, the positive aspects of your response. Your analysis of the opening of the video is very strong. When you address the newborn baby, you successfully avoid all of the rhetorical analysis mistakes that your peers make. You do not assume how the audience will react. You specify the exact emotional response, softening, that Macklemore anticipates, and you link this rhetorical decision with his purpose. You do the same thing in your explanation of the school dance. This is a great indicator to me that you will write strong analyses this year.

    Unfortunately, you make some technical mistakes that detract from the overall quality of your response. First, song titles should be in quotes and not italicized. You mistakenly confuse the spellings of "than" and "then" as well as "their" and "they're." Also, in the sentence, "People instill this fear into a persons head that if their gay then you might as well not exist," you switch narrative perspectives from the third person "persons" to the second person "you." These might seem like minor errors, but you definitely draw attention to yourself when you make these mistakes.

    ReplyDelete