Sunday, September 22, 2013

On Thursday night I sat in front of my TV and turned on my Xbox to play NCAA Football 14.  Within 8 minutes of turning it on I had already seen 5 advertisements.  To me, putting these kinds of advertisements in the games does make it more realistic, but the advertisements don’t actually catch my eye.  I found myself searching for the advertisements when trying to come up with some type of stat.  Finding this stat made me realize how desensitized I am to advertisements.  Another stat I looked for was how many minutes of commercials I saw during The Ultimate Fighter, which turned out to be 17 minutes for a one hour show.  If you asked me now to name the product for one commercial, I couldn’t name any.  Commercials just go in one ear and out the other.  This may have to do with the fact that the advertising on my most viewed TV network, ESPN, doesn’t relate to me.  On ESPN, the commercials are for new trucks, insurance, and beer.  And since none relate to me because I either don’t have the money or am not old enough I zone out.  So now with all advertisement I seem to do the same.  Which is why finding the commercials in my video game was actually very difficult to do.  I am so desensitized that I couldn’t find something right in front of me. 

 Advertising also does not affect which product or company I end up buying from.  In fact, advertising sometimes makes me not want to buy their product.  One example was a summer jingle that Burger King created about frozen ice cream.  The commercial annoyed me so much I had to mute the TV every time I saw it.  The commercial also didn’t change that I go to Burger King once or twice per year and that I prefer Chipotle.  Advertising simply doesn’t have a huge effect on me. 

Advertisement has become such a huge part of our daily lives.  But for some, advertising has been blasted at them so much they become desensitized to it.  I believe that most media outlets are still more concerned with entertaining us.  My video game was very subtle with advertising and The Ultimate Fighter was below the national average for air time to commercial ratio (1/3 of the time being commercials), according to waynesthisandthat.com.  So, there is still hope that our world will not be overrun by advertisements.    

   

1 comment:

  1. Eric, you make a point similar to the one that Shannon made. You write, "If you asked me now to name the product for one commercial, I couldn’t name any. Commercials just go in one ear and out the other." This is interesting, and like I wrote to Shannon, I am not sure how to respond to this fact. I personally agree. I either tune-out ads, fast-forward through them on DVR, or use them as opportunities to get work done. Regardless, I never watch commercials. I guess the only question I have for you and Shannon is whether or not we can use our response as representative of the population as a whole. And, even if we don't watch them, the ads might still be the dominant factors in our entertainment industry.

    I appreciate that you offered some quantitative analysis to support your answer. The only real issue I have is that you have several technical lapses in this post. Let's look at one: "And since none relate to me because I either don’t have the money or am not old enough I zone out." This sentence has several issues. First, it is awkward to begin a sentence with "And since." Second, you really need some commas. Third, you need to be explicit about what you don't have the money or are not old enough to do. I can infer what you mean, but you should not rely on your reader to infer. Also, without this information, the sentence is grammatically incorrect.

    ReplyDelete